Join us this Saturday for our Fun in the Sun outdoor event!
Join us this Saturday for our Fun in the Sun outdoor event!
Attention Maltese (& Cross) Owners!
Get your dog looking spiffy for the May 20 Pawsway Malteser (pdf link) with a tidy up or full groom at Cosmopawlitan.
$45 on May 19 & 20 only. By appointment only, so book today! (416) 598-4700
Spring is here, and why should dogs get to have all the outdoor fun? These days it’s common knowledge that it’s safer to keep your feline companion indoors, but there’s no reason your cat can’t do a little exploring outside with the proper apparel.
At Cosmopawlitan you’ll find a variety of cat harnesses (and leashes) because we love to see owners getting outdoors in a safe way with their meowing pals. Here are the most important things to remember when harness and leash training your kitty friend:
1. Get the right harness. Bear in mind that cats are escape artists. To make sure your cat can’t wriggle out of the harness and away from safety, get a proper “H” shaped harness and make sure it’s snug enough. To test this, you should be able to fit two fingers between their body and the harness. Naturally you can find this type of harness at Cosmo!
2. Go S-L-O-W-L-Y! I cannot stress this one enough. Let your cat see, sniff and play around with the harness for a few days so he/she gets the feel of it before you try putting it on. When you do put it on for the first time, be gentle and take your time. Try to distract your cat with toys or treats and only buckle it up if you’re not met with extreme resistance. Some resistance is normal. Your goal during this first process is to ease them into wearing the harness for a short time each day.
3. Through the whole process, use treats, toys and positive reassurance to make the experience a good one. When your cat appears relaxed while walking around the house with her new harness, it’s time to attach the (lightweight) leash. There’s no need to hold on to it yet, just let it drag behind her as she walks. Keep her mind occupied with a little bit of bribery and when she seems to be ignoring the leash, take hold and get ready to follow your kitty around the house.
4. Remember that walking a cat is not like walking a dog. You’ll be doing more walking alongside than leading. Just let your cat explore and sniff to her heart’s content. Follow along behind her with some slack on the leash and the two of you will have a great time.
5. Be safe. Your fenced in backyard is the best place for your kitty to wander, but barring that, a quiet, dog-free, grassy area close to your home is second best. And don’t forget to make sure your cat is up to date with all of her shots. Keep a close eye on her too, dogs aren’t the only ones who like to gobble up things they find on the ground!
6. Don’t force the outside world on your cat if they truly are excessively frightened. As much as you might think your cat is dying to get outdoors or constantly fawn over how cute she looks wearing her harness and leash, it’s pretty easy to tell if she’s happy with the idea or not. If she is visibly terrified and clearly wants to get back inside, take her back inside.
It’s important to keep in mind that not all cats will take to the harness and leash for various reasons, some are just too intimidated of the outdoors due to growing up inside and some just never get comfortable wearing the gear. Don’t get frustrated, if your cat is happy indoors then you should be too!
It is important to your pet’s long term health to feed a nutritious diet. Cosmopawlitan can help you make the right choices.
Q: How do I decide which food is best for my pet?
A: There are a few things to ask yourself when selecting a pet food. What breed is your pet? How old is your pet? What is your pet’s activity level? Does your pet have any sensitivities, allergies or medical conditions? Each of these will help determine what food your pet will thrive on.
Q: Dry food vs. Wet food?
A: Wet and dry foods offer different benefits to your pet, all of which are essential to your pet’s well-being. Therefore a mixture of both dry and wet food is recommended.
Q: How do I switch pet foods?
A: The proper way to switch your pet from the food they are eating now to a new food is to do it gradually over a few days to a few weeks (depending on how finicky your pet is). During the transition period, progressively add more of the new food to the old food starting from a ratio of 1:4 (new to old) until he/she is consuming only the new food.
For more information on selecting a healthy food for your pet, visit us seven days a week and we will be happy to help you.
That is so cool! Their review page has a picture of our storefront when we were closed, but come by and check us out during store hours. We promise you’ll have fun looking at all of the products that we carry!
We also wanted to note that we carry a lot of Canadian brand pet foods, a good selection of treats, and that like most of the other pet stores listed, we offer professional grooming too!
Every time we think “Finally! Winter is over,” Mother Nature catches up and tosses cold, wind and snow at us along the Harbourfront!
To help you get through the chilly dog walks, we are holding a Winter Special all week – from Saturday, February 20 to Sunday, February 28!
Purchase a winter coat at regular price, and enjoy 60% off a second winter apparel of equal or lesser value. While supplies last, so don’t delay before your size is gone!
Thanks to everyone for coming out to celebrate “Howl-O-Ween” at Cosmopawlitan! We loved all of the fun and interesting costumes. The dogs had a great time making new friends too!
All of the participants:
A great array of costumes were presented, from a clown, to a giraffe, to a heroic firefighter, and more!
First Place – Full Grooming session
Second Place – Full Day Pet Stay and Spa session
2nd Place Tie: Congratulations to Oscar (mini dachshund) a.k.a. Daddy Cool and Musashi (yorkie) a.k.a. Giraffe!
1st Place: Congratulations to Olive and Otis from Where the Wild Things Are!
Okay, we know there are many of you out there who love to dress up your entire family for Halloween — including your pets!
You’re invited to our Howl-O-Ween Party on Saturday, October 31st! Make sure you have your costumes ready for our Costume Contest – there’s only one week left. We know some of you have already been working diligently on your costumes for a couple weeks.
If you’re still looking for a costume, drop by Cosmopawlitan this week because all of our Halloween costumes are 20% off. While your pet is trying on costumes, pre-register for our Costume Contest!
We hope to see you soon!
Some Halloween Pet Tips:
1) If your pet is alright with wearing a costume, make sure it’s not on too loose or too tight, or restricting vision. Do not leave your costumed pet unsupervised.
2) Keep human goodies away from your pets! Chocolate is toxic to dogs, cats and ferrets.
3) Keep candy wrappers away too!
4) Make sure your pets are wearing ID tags, in case they escape from your care for any reason.
Our One-Year Anniversary was so fun!
Thanks everyone for coming to check out our events and sale, enjoying cheese and crackers and cupcakes (no really, thank you! because otherwise I know what my week of next meals would be..) and showing your support to us. We have been learning constantly from you and the past year has been exciting, to say the least.
Thank you also to our wonderful staff for their enthusiasm, dedication and awesome conscientious work ethic.
Here are some highlights:
This lucky black kitten finds a new forever home via Toronto Cat Rescue (link)
Delicious custom cupcakes courtesy of Sweet Things TO (link)
New doggie friends are made
Don French enraptures a crowd on Clicker Training! (also recommended for cats, rabbits and husbands)
On the winner’s podium: Donut takes home the prize
Thank you a million times over for being a part of our incredible journey this past year. Can’t wait to celebrate our second anniversary! But in the mean time, stay tuned for our Hallowe’en plans…
*A portion of raffle proceeds will go to the Toronto Cat Rescue
We can’t believe a full year has passed! Thank you to our fantastic customers for supporting us and for letting us know what you are looking for in your neighbourhood pet boutique + spa. We always welcome feedback and strive to improve our offerings and service so that you can have a more enjoyable experience at Cosmopawlitan.
Come and join us to celebrate our First Anniversary this Saturday!
This day is for YOU if…
– you are looking to give a forever home to an adoptable cat
– you want the chance to win an awesome and luxurious prize for your pet while supporting Toronto Cat Rescue
– you need pet food advice
– you need pet training advice
– you want some free stuff
– you just want to bring your dog (and family) to a welcoming place on a Saturday!
Don’t miss out on this fun-filled event!
478 Queens Quay West, Toronto | 416-598-4700